TOP NEWS

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Mollie #52 - La Marina, Chile - October 21 - Wool in Relief Society, Drug Problems, Not Realizing Potential


                                                                    October 21
     
Hey all!

      Right now, I am trying to exchange church music with other missionaries. So I have little time!

First, here are some photos from Concepcion. We live right by it.







Choir is doing great! We have a constant eight or so people for the minimum. So that is all good. I am going to be in La Marina for November which just rocks, because Elder Holland is coming to talk specifically to this stake on November 10. I was hoping to stay so that I can really get this choir going. I am starting to get other people in on it. What we lack is other instruments. They don`t teach music in the schools, so really the only other people who play instruments are in the evangelical churches. I think it may be hard to get them in on a Christmas program. 

     My companion is all good. We get along really well and work great together.  I am trying to decide what I want to do for this sector. The leaders have been telling us to think out of the box. We are still working to establish a calender so that people know about the activities ahead of time. 

Other things that I have been up to...I have been learning things with wool in Relief Society!

  


     The other day, I made sushi with fake meat (I can't remember the name in English). I is called carne vegetal. It is like soy meat. It was actually really good. 

     We have been teaching a lot of people who have sons, husbands, fathers that are addicted to drugs. It is really sad to see the consequences. They will sell the clothes off of their backs or steal from their pregnant wife to get drugs and not think that it is wrong or are not willing to admit it is wrong. Often the family does not feel safe in their own home, because they are not safe. 

Security is something that we do not realize the worth until we don´t have it.

Still these families are very united. They cannot reject their brother, and they will work together and pay the consequences together. They will permit him the security of a home and family for nothing. 

It is always the men.
 We have not had one case of a women addicted to drugs. 

Some of the men here do not realize their potential as fathers and heads of households. They do not realize the blessing of responsibility. There are very few families and less than half are married. They live together -sometimes.

    The men do not place upon themselves the blessing and responsibility of a family. They float in their lives doing drugs, work, and alcohol. They are not dedicated to anything in particular. Sometimes they live with their families but more often then not they do not. The mothers are with the children, but the fathers are separated from their families - often rejected. I wonder if the US is the same. I have never spoken one-on-one with so many families. 

                           Love you all lots,

                         Hermana Bowman




0 comments: