TOP NEWS

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Mollie's #10 - Comics, Tackled, and Faith

                                                         February 5, 2013

 Starting off with a couple of comics...

    (Note: Outside the MTC, a "Tool" is slang for "One who lacks the mental capacity to know he is being used" or "A fool.")



Hey All,

  Today, I was tackled by a man. Don't worry, not really, I'm fine. Who knew that waiting in the sack lunch line was so dangerous?
   While reaching for some of the delicious vanilla soy milk they have here, I felt this heavy weight fall against my side. I thought someone had tackled me.

   What really happened was that the man in the line opposite of me had passed out! (He probably weighed 230 lbs.)
    I fell in a mess, as I dropped my tray and stumbled half into the refrigerator. He ended up passed out, going into seizures with his head on my feet! His whole body was quivering with shakes! Everyone just stood there for a second before the register lady called in for medical services.
    I asked if anyone would be willing to give him a priesthood blessing. A couple of elders who knew him offered. Immediately after the blessing, he stopped shaking! One minute later, he woke up feeling fine.

   From this I learned:
1) If you don't feel well, do something about it
2) I need to update my knowledge of emergency response
3) Priesthood blessings work

   On other news, we are getting new people this week, and I am fairly excited! Our branch (~ small congregation) is going to have four new sisters.
   Since the start of my time here, the members of Relief Society sisters has doubled! There are currently around 600 sisters.
    Anyway, when I first arrived, everyone was really open and kind. I felt comfortable here in about three days. I really want to do the same for this new group of sisters.
    All of the rooms downstairs have been renovated into missionary rooms. I know it's going to start feeling a little bit crowded here.
   Still, the positive influence of good people makes every challenge - if not fun and humorous - manageable.


(Here is a drawing of our "Freezer")


 Now for a spiritual thought - I've been thinking about Faith. I think that true faith starts with a desire. Most people understand - at least subconsciously - that there is more to the world than the things we can touch, hear, taste, smell, and see.
   For example, many people recognize that there is more to a person than a body. They believe in souls even if they haven't defined it as such. People also go through experiences and feel things like love, loyalty, and friendship. These are things that can't be defined by the world.
   If a picture is worth a thousand words, a feeling - a serious feeling - is worth millions! We recognize these things in our own souls. They ring true to us. When we have a desire to seek out and find other truths - this is faith.

Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."
Alma 32:21 "...Faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore, if ye have faith, ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true."

Faith must be centered around Jesus Christ in order to produce salvation. Just as there are beautiful and wonderful feelings and truths in this world, there are also evils, such as Temptation and Failure that leads to guilt, anger, and helplessness. Still, we are children of God and within us is the ability to choose. We must pray to recognize good and evil, and then choose which we want to be.

2 Ne 2:27 "...and they are free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil; for he seeketh that all men might be miserable like unto himself."

Galations 1:5 "Standfast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage."


Lots of Love,
       Hermana Bowman
   
P. S. I saw Isaac Healey and Samantha Rainsdon here!

0 comments: